Sunday, October 10, 2010

Explore Alaska introduction

The above picture is taken from the NW side of Adak, Alaska.  This is the lovely westernmost municipality in the entire United States that my Wife, Daughter, and I call home.  This particular spot is breathtaking, to say the least, and is about as isolated as it gets.  The angle of this photo is deceiving, however.  The beach is approximately 250 feet below where I took this photo.  It is quite a steep angle to get down to the beach and what seems an even steeper angle on the return trip.  I call this "Awareness Hill" because immediately on the way back up I became aware of how far, exactly, I had fallen out of shape.
I have chosen this photo simply because I am in awe of how untouched and beautiful this island is.  I have begun to take a viewpoint that we seem to make things less appealing in our efforts to make them more appealing.  I do still crave commerce and a nice restaurant quite often, though.

3 comments:

  1. Tim, I lived in King Cove and Unalaska over a period of 14 years. It is truly a foreign country. I am an Athabaskin from interior Alaska, but when I moved to the Aleutians, it was so unfamiliar to me that I just couldn't adjust for quite some time. I love it there; it's very unique, but it had to grow on me!
    Martha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - gorgeous photo! I lived for a very short time on the Alaska Peninsula. Yours is a beautiful area in a wild and storm-swept way.

    ReplyDelete